Maltipoos are becoming an increasingly popular dog breed in the United States due to their affectionate and playful temperament, low-shedding coat, and small size. As a result, many people are curious about the cost of these adorable pups. In this article, we will explore the average price of a Maltipoo, factors that influence its price, regional price differences in the US, adoption costs, recurring costs, and care costs.
Table of Contents
How Much is a Maltipoo?
The price of a Maltipoo varies depending on several factors, such as the breeder’s reputation, location, size, color, and coat quality of the pup. According to the American Kennel Club, the average price of a Maltipoo puppy ranges from $1,000 to $4,000. However, some breeders may sell them for as low as $500, while others may charge up to $10,000 for a show-quality pup.
Why are Maltipoos Expensive?
Maltipoos are generally considered a designer breed, resulting from intentional breeding between two purebred dog breeds, the Maltese and the Poodle. The breeding process can be costly and time-consuming, and reputable breeders invest significant resources to ensure their dogs are healthy and well-socialized. As a result, Maltipoos tend to be more expensive than other dog breeds.
Factors Influencing the Price of Maltipoos
Various factors influence the price of a Maltipoo puppy. Below are some of the factors that affect their price:
- Breeder’s Reputation: A reputable breeder will charge a higher price for their Maltipoo puppies because they invest in breeding healthy, high-quality dogs.
- Size: Maltipoos come in different sizes, including teacup, toy, and miniature. Teacup Maltipoos are the smallest and most expensive, while miniature Maltipoos are larger and less expensive.
- Color: Maltipoos come in different colors, such as white, cream, apricot, red, and black. Rare colors like blue and chocolate are more expensive.
- Coat Quality: Maltipoos have wavy or curly coats that require regular grooming. Maltipoos with high-quality, non-shedding coats are more costly.
- Location: The price of a Maltipoo puppy can vary depending on where you live. Puppies in big cities like New York and Los Angeles are more expensive due to higher living costs.
Price Differences According to Size
Maltipoos come in various sizes, and the puppy’s size can affect its price. Generally, the smaller the Maltipoo, the higher the price. Here’s a breakdown of the average costs for Maltipoos based on their size:
- Teacup Maltipoos: Teacup Maltipoos are the smallest breed, weighing less than 5 pounds as adults. Because they are so small, they require special care and attention, and breeding them can be risky. As a result, teacup Maltipoos are typically the most expensive, with prices ranging from $2,000 to $5,000 or more.
- Toy Maltipoos: Toy Maltipoos are slightly larger than teacup Maltipoos, weighing between 5 and 10 pounds as adults. They are still considered to be small dogs, and their size makes them popular with apartment dwellers and people with limited living space. The average price for a toy Maltipoo is between $1,500 and $2,500.
- Miniature Maltipoos: Miniature Maltipoos are larger than toy Maltipoos, weighing between 10 and 15 pounds as adults. They are still small dogs but require more space and exercise than their smaller counterparts. The average price for a miniature Maltipoo is between $1,000 and $2,000.
- Standard Maltipoos: Standard Maltipoos are the largest of the breed, weighing between 15 and 20 pounds as adults. They require more space and exercise than the smaller Maltipoos, but they are still considered small dogs. The average price for a standard Maltipoo is between $800 and $1,500.
Price Differences Between Colors
The price difference of Maltipoos based on color can vary depending on the breeder and location, but here is a general idea of the price range you can expect for each color:
- White Maltipoos: White Maltipoos are among the most popular colors and often seen in advertising and media. The average price for a white Maltipoo ranges from $1,500 to $3,500.
- Cream Maltipoos: Cream is another popular color for Maltipoos. Cream Maltipoos tend to have a warm and inviting color that is highly desired. The average price for a cream Maltipoo ranges from $1,500 to $3,000.
- Apricot Maltipoos: Apricot Maltipoos have a warm, peachy color that is very attractive. They are a popular color choice for many Maltipoo owners. The average price for an apricot Maltipoo ranges from $1,500 to $3,500.
- Black Maltipoos: Black Maltipoos have a classic and sleek look that is highly desired. The average price for a black Maltipoo ranges from $1,500 to $3,000.
- Chocolate Maltipoos: Chocolate Maltipoos have a unique and rare color that is highly sought after. They tend to be more expensive than other colors, with an average price range of $2,000 to $4,000.
- Blue Maltipoos: Blue Maltipoos have a rare and unique color that is highly coveted. They tend to be the most expensive of all the colors, with an average price range of $2,500 to $5,000 or more.
Price Differences Across US Regions
The price of a Maltipoo puppy can vary greatly depending on the region you live in. Below are some price differences across different US regions:
- West Coast: Maltipoos in California are more expensive than in other states, with prices ranging from $1,500 to $5,000.
- East Coast: Maltipoos in New York City and other East Coast cities can cost between $1,500 and $4,000.
- Midwest: Maltipoos in the Midwest are relatively cheaper than on the coasts, with prices ranging from $1,000 to $3,500.
- South: Maltipoos in the South are more affordable, with prices ranging from $800 to $3,000.
Adopting a Maltipoo can be an affordable option compared to buying from a breeder. Adoption fees typically range from $100 to $500, depending on the adoption agency. However, it’s important to note that Maltipoos are less commonly found in shelters than other breeds, and you may have to search for an extended period to find one.
Owning a Maltipoo involves recurring costs such as food, grooming, and vet care. Below are some of the recurring expenses you can expect when owning a Maltipoo:
- Food: Maltipoos require high-quality dog food, which can cost between $20 and $50 per month, depending on the brand.
- Grooming: Maltipoos have wavy or curly coats that require regular grooming. The cost of grooming varies depending on whether you do it yourself or take your pup to a professional groomer. The average price of a professional grooming session can range from $50 to $100, depending on the location and the condition of your Maltipoo coat. However, you can save money by learning to groom your Maltipoo at home.
- Vet Care: Regular veterinary care is necessary to keep your Maltipoo healthy. Annual check-ups, vaccinations, and preventative care such as flea and tick medication can cost between $300 to $500 per year. Budgeting for unexpected veterinary bills is also important, as accidents and illnesses can be costly.
Maltipoos are a high-maintenance breed that requires daily care and attention. Below are some of the care costs associated with owning a Maltipoo:
- Exercise: Maltipoos are energetic dogs that require daily exercise to stay healthy and happy. This can include walks, playtime, or even training sessions. You may need to invest in toys or agility equipment to keep your Maltipoo engaged.
- Training: Maltipoos are intelligent dogs that are easy to train. However, they can be prone to separation anxiety, so it’s necessary to invest in proper training to help your Maltipoo adjust to your routine. You may need to hire a professional dog trainer or invest in training classes.
- Supplies: Owning a Maltipoo requires a variety of supplies, such as food and water bowls, a crate or bed, collars and leashes, toys, and grooming supplies. These costs can add up over time, so it’s important to budget accordingly.
In conclusion, owning a Maltipoo can be a rewarding experience, but it’s essential to consider the costs associated with owning one. The average price of a Maltipoo in the US ranges from $1,000 to $4,000, with various factors such as breeder reputation, size, color, coat quality, and location influencing the price. Regional price differences can also affect the cost of owning a Maltipoo. Additionally, budget for recurring costs such as food, grooming, and vet care, as well as care costs such as exercise, training, and supplies. By considering these factors, you can decide whether a Maltipoo is the right dog for you and your budget.